Barcelona's Rodri Coup Exposes Mourinho's Real Madrid Reboot Before a Ball Is Kicked
Spain's World Cup-winning captain snubbed a direct approach from José Mourinho to complete a £65.4m move to Camp Nou, where he will be groomed as Sergio Busquets' long-term successor.

By David Adams, Sports AnalystAI-assisted
Barcelona have completed one of the most symbolically loaded transfers of the summer, beating Real Madrid to Rodri in a deal that says as much about the two clubs' standing as it does about the player himself. The Spain captain and reigning World Cup winner has signed a four-year contract at Camp Nou after Manchester City accepted a £65.4m bid, ending seven years at the Etihad in which he won four Premier League titles according to the Guardian's report on the accepted bid.
What makes the move extraordinary is not just the fee or the theatre of a private jet touching down at El Prat. It is that Barcelona, not Real Madrid, were the club Rodri chose, despite Madrid's new manager José Mourinho making a direct personal pitch for him.
How Barcelona beat Real Madrid to Rodri
The deal came together fast once it became live. Sid Lowe's account for the Guardian describes how, just a fortnight before the signing, few inside the game were even contemplating the switch. Rodri had been photographed at Barajas airport five days earlier queuing alone for a Ryanair flight back to Manchester, RFEF case in hand, seemingly on nothing more than a farewell trip to Spain.
A private jet and a 70-minute delay
By Monday evening he was flying back into Barcelona for good. His Pilatus PC-24, flight PTN27B, left Manchester at 5.11pm, 101 minutes behind schedule, and touched down at El Prat close to 8pm, itself 70 minutes late, becoming, in Lowe's words, the most tracked plane on the planet as supporters gathered at the terminal as detailed in the Guardian's report. This time his family travelled with him. There was no queuing.
The numbers behind the deal
- Barcelona's accepted bid: €60m plus €15m in add-ons, of which €11m are considered virtually guaranteed per the Guardian
- Reported headline fee in sterling: £65.4m, as Manchester City accepted the bid confirmed in the Guardian's earlier report
- Contract length: four years, with wages of around €15m a year, an increase on his City salary as reported by the Guardian
Both figures, the £65.4m sterling headline and the €60m-plus-add-ons structure, describe the same deal from different currency and reporting angles, and the two accounts are consistent rather than contradictory.
Mourinho's admission: what went wrong for Madrid
The real story of this transfer is not the fee. It is that Real Madrid, now managed by Mourinho ahead of the 2026-27 season, were genuinely in the race for Rodri and lost it. Mourinho himself has since confirmed he spoke to the midfielder directly about a move to the Bernabéu.
Mourinho revealed that he spoke to Rodri about joining Real Madrid, but seeing 'doubts' in the 2026 World Cup's best player led to the midfielder signing with Barcelona instead ESPN reported.
A reboot that stumbles before kick-off
That admission is a significant early credibility dent for Mourinho's second spell in Spanish football. He arrives at Madrid with a combative reputation intact: he accused one of Real Madrid's own star players of bringing racist abuse on himself in February, and will now be managing Federico Valverde, who was hospitalised in May after a fight with a teammate according to the Guardian's La Liga season preview. Losing out on the most decorated holding midfielder in the game, to Madrid's fiercest rival, before a competitive ball is kicked, is an awkward footnote to a project built on restoring authority.
Why the doubts mattered
Rodri had been open about wanting to return to Spain, and reporting ahead of the deal noted the 30-year-old was said to favour exactly that the Guardian noted. Whatever Mourinho offered, it was not enough to erase whatever hesitation he detected. That single word, doubts, is doing a lot of work: it suggests Madrid's pitch, however direct, did not convince Rodri that the club or the project were the right fit.
The Busquets question: can Rodri really fill that role?
Barcelona's framing of the signing leans heavily on one name: Sergio Busquets, the club legend who anchored their midfield for over a decade before departing three years ago. Rodri has been likened to Busquets throughout his career, and Lowe's reporting describes him as the natural successor to that role and status at Camp Nou the Guardian's feature explains.
Destroyer versus playmaker
The comparison is not straightforward. Busquets was defined by his positional sense and pass-first control, dictating tempo from deep without ever needing to win the ball back through force. Rodri, by contrast, built his City career on a hybrid profile: a genuine ball-winner who also progresses play, comfortable breaking up attacks as much as starting them. Whether that translates into the Busquets template, or simply gets rebranded as such for marketing convenience, is the tactical question Barcelona's coaching staff will have to answer on the pitch rather than in a press release.
The weight of the shirt
At 30, Rodri is arriving later than the ideal succession timeline would have suggested, three years after Busquets left, a gap Lowe's report also flags directly as the Guardian notes. That delay means Barcelona are not so much handing over a baton as retrofitting a legacy onto a player who built his reputation somewhere else entirely. The scrutiny that comes with any Busquets comparison at Camp Nou will be immediate and unforgiving.
The knock-on effects: City's rebuild and Barcelona's summer spending
This deal does not exist in isolation. It is one move in a wider reshaping of both squads' midfields and finances this summer.
Manchester City's search for a replacement
City's manager is already moving to fill the void. Reporting around the deal's completion noted City are chasing Lille's Bouaddi as a direct replacement for Rodri's holding role per the Guardian. Replacing four Premier League titles' worth of midfield control in seven seasons will not happen with one signing, whatever the fee.
Barcelona's funded rebuild
Barcelona have simultaneously been raising funds elsewhere. Ferran Torres has departed for Paris Saint-Germain in a €50m deal, a sale confirmed just days before the Rodri signing was completed the Guardian reported. The timing suggests a club actively balancing outgoings against a marquee incoming statement, reshaping the squad's profile while staying within its financial constraints.
- Rodri in: £65.4m, four-year deal, positioned as Busquets' successor
- Ferran Torres out: €50m to PSG, funding the rebuild
- City's response: pursuing Lille's Bouaddi to fill the pivot
What happens next
Rodri is expected to be integrated gradually into Barcelona's midfield as the new season begins, with his positional discipline and ball-winning instincts tested immediately against Real Madrid's own reshaped squad under Mourinho. The first Clásico of the season will carry extra weight: not just for the table, but as a direct measure of which club won the summer's biggest midfield battle where it counts.
For Manchester City, the Bouaddi pursuit will be watched closely as a signal of how directly Pep Guardiola's side intend to replace Rodri's specific profile rather than simply distribute his responsibilities across the existing squad. For Mourinho, the pressure is now on to demonstrate that Madrid's midfield can control games without the player he personally tried, and failed, to sign. Whether Rodri becomes the next Busquets or simply a very good version of himself in a new shirt will likely take a full season, not a transfer window, to answer.
SportSignals is an independent publication. Views expressed are our own.
Sources
- Secondary sourceIndependent of the subjectBarcelona steal Rodri away from Real Madrid and plan to make him new Busquets
The Guardian Football · Sid Lowe · Published 18 Aug 2026
Supports: Rodri has completed a £65.4m move from Manchester City to Barcelona, snubbing Real Madrid despite direct interest from José Mourinho, and will be groomed as the long-term successor to Sergio Busquets in the pivot role.
Open the reporting used for this article. Material quotes and figures should also carry an inline citation in the article body.
How this article was produced
AI assisted research and drafting. David Adams checked the sources and quotations, edited the article and approved this exact version for publication.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much did Barcelona pay for Rodri?
Barcelona agreed a fee of £65.4m, structured as €60m plus €15m in add-ons with €11m considered virtually guaranteed. Manchester City accepted the bid before the midfielder signed a four-year contract at Camp Nou.
Why did Rodri choose Barcelona over Real Madrid?
Real Madrid manager José Mourinho made a direct personal approach for Rodri, but the Spain captain opted for Barcelona instead. Mourinho later admitted he had sensed 'doubts' in the World Cup winner during their discussions.
What role will Rodri play at Barcelona?
Barcelona intend to develop the 30-year-old as the long-term successor to Sergio Busquets in central midfield. He has signed a four-year deal worth around €15m a season, an increase on his previous Manchester City salary.
More News
Transfer CentreRodri Standoff Becomes Three-Way Clásico Power Play As City Reject Barcelona's Opening Bid
Manchester City have rejected Barcelona's opening £38.5m bid for Rodri and are demanding at least £60m, with the World Cup Golden Ball winner having agreed personal terms with Barça after Real Madrid's pursuit collapsed. The standoff has left José Mourinho furious and forced City to accelerate contingency plans involving Ayyoub Bouaddi and Enzo Fernández.
Breaking NewsRodri's £65m Barcelona Move Ends City's Treble-Winning Core and Bets Big on a World Cup Renaissance
Barcelona have signed Manchester City's Ballon d'Or holder Rodri for £65m on a four-year deal, ending a seven-season spell that yielded 12 trophies. The move raises fitness-risk questions after injury-hit seasons but follows a player-of-the-tournament display at the World Cup.
Breaking NewsRodri's £65m Barcelona move ends Manchester City's control-system era
Barcelona have agreed a £65m deal to sign Manchester City captain Rodri, ending a seven-year, trophy-laden spell that saw him win 12 major honours and the 2024 Ballon d'Or. The move raises questions about City's midfield future and whether a 30-year-old with recent knee and hamstring injuries is a safe long-term investment for Barcelona.

